Information and help about Charging for Social Care

At the beginning of April 2017 Tower Hamlets Council (THC) started rolling out their plans for charging some people for their home care and similar services provided by THC for people’s care and support needs. Real never agreed with the principle of charging for social care in the first place, and campaigned against it. After delays in implementation, the Council started charging from 2 October 2017.

But we are where we are, and as THC are rolling out charging we want to help people understand as much as possible about the financial assessment process and how you can ensure that you don’t end up paying more than you need to. On this webpage you will find information about:

  • understanding charging
  • what to do if you don’t agree with the outcome of your financial assessment
  • where to go for extra help

Understanding charging

If you are going through the financial assessment process for the first time (or you want a reminder) the following three documents will help you understand more about how the Council will assess you to see if you should contribute towards the cost of your social care. Tower Hamlets Council have now agreed these documents, so you should be able to refer to them when dealing with the Financial Assessment Team.

  1. A guide to THC charging for social care services – 18 April 2017
  2. Real’s guidance on disability related expenditure (updated 11.12.17)
  3. Real’s examples of implementation of charging

The first document will give you everything you need to know about the whole charging framework and supplements the guidance produced by Tower Hamlets Council. It even helps you work out how you can calculate your own charge in advance. It’s not a replacement to reading the council’s guidance on the financial assessment form, but it gives you a bigger, wider picture.

The second document is some detailed guidance on how you can calculate disability related expenditure. We think that’s the most difficult part to understand and work out. This is why we’ve written separate, specific guidance on just this one topic.

The third document gives detailed calculations for four fictitious people, showing you how different income streams and deductions could be put together to work out how much someone should pay. Real feels that these are a little more likely to be representative of people’s circumstances than the examples given in the Tower Hamlets council guidance. They are quite hard to follow and you may want to speak to an adviser to understand them better.

You can access these documents by clicking on the links above, or under Related Documents at the bottom of this page.

Click here to see the page on the Tower Hamlets Council website showing the paper that went to cabinet that approved the introduction of charging. The charging policy itself can be found in appendix 8 which starts on page 72. The specific income streams which must be included and excluded from an assessment are given on pages 100-101.

What to do if you don’t agree with the outcome of your financial assessment

In the original letters sent out to people in October 2017 advising of the outcome of their financial assessment, the Council didn’t say what to do if you didn’t agree with the outcome.

Real have now finished working with the Council to agree a new review and appeals process. Detailed instructions on how to get your case reviewed, including how to provide additional information if necessary, can be found in the following document:

THC social care charging appeal process (updated 11.12.17)

Where to go for extra help

The Council’s Financial Assessment Team are the first point of contact for queries on the financial assessment process. Their contact details are as follows:

You can also contact the Local Link service which Real leads in conjunction with six other local organisations and one of us may be able to help, especially if you want independent information, advice or advocacy.

Skip to toolbar