Real Direct Payments for Children

Having more say over your disabled child’s care and support.

Our service supports any parents, carers and families with disabled children who are eligible for social care and support from the council.

You can ask the council to give the money they spend on your child’s care directly to you. This is called a direct payment and it won’t affect any of your benefits.

Our service can help you decide what kind of care and support to buy for your child and who from.

You can choose things like someone to help your child with personal care or to help them get out and about to do the things they enjoy.

You can use the payments to get support from the council, or get new support from somewhere else, or you can choose a bit of both.

The important thing is that the support you choose gives your child the help you and the council have agreed they need.

Who we can support

We can support anyone who has a disabled child or children eligible for social care from Tower Hamlets Council.

If you already use direct payments

Get in touch with us and we can start helping you have more say over your child’s support:

The simplest way to get started is just to get in touch with us via the Advice Line. The Advice line hours are:

Monday to Friday between 10.30am and 3.30pm.

Call 020 7001 2188 (Please leave a message if the line is busy)

Send an email to

Visit our offices at Jack Dash House, 2 Lawn House Close, E14 9YQ.

You can also send us a message using our online form.

If you don’t already use direct payments

There are some rules around who can get direct payments, so you need to talk to your child’s lead professional or social worker before you can apply.

They’ll meet with you to explain the rules and work out if you’re eligible. If you’d like us to come to this meeting and answer your questions as well, just ask the social worker to bring us with them.

Once the council has agreed you can get direct payments, we’ll get in touch as soon as possible to get everything started.

Contact the council’s Children with Disabilities Team on 020 7364 2724 or to apply for direct payments.

Get more information

You can get more information on the council’s webpages about services for children with disabilities .