Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Updated 25 April to include a link to the PPE webinar hosted by THC and CCG on Monday, 27 April 2020, and incorporate the latest THC guidance on when to use PPE, plus updated guidance on how to access it

Updated 2 April to include guides on choosing and using PPE, and preventing infection

There will be a free webinar on how/when to use PPE, and how to access PPE on Monday 27 April from 6:30-7:30pm with health and social care staff. A webinar is an online discussion which you can access on a computer or tablet. It is interactive and you will be able to hear information and ask questions

Click here to join the webinar

The government guidance for home care workers includes:

“Personal protective equipment

Care workers should use personal protective equipment (PPE) for activities that bring them into close personal contact, such as washing and bathing, personal hygiene and contact with bodily fluids.

Aprons, gloves and fluid repellent surgical masks should be used in these situations. If there is a risk of splashing, then eye protection will minimise risk.

New personal protective equipment must be used for each episode of care. It is essential that personal protective equipment is stored securely within disposable rubbish bags.

These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste within the room. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in the usual household waste bin.”

On 14 April 2020 Tower Hamlets Council and Tower Hamlets Together issued revised guidance on PPE and Infection Control for community health and social care settings. Everyone who receives care and support at home should read this as it gives detailed guidance on who and when you should be using PPE.

Accessing PPE

Tower Hamlets Council have arranged for a supply of PPE to be kept at John Onslow House. This will be given out to direct payments recipients in accordance with the guidance issued on 14 April. You will need to work out what equipment you need and how often it is needed to work out how many supplies you need. This will vary from person to person depending on the kind of care and support you receive.

Tower Hamlets Council have asked that you contact PeoplePlus to say when you need to get the equipment. They want to try to spread across the day the times that people go to collect PPE, to avoid a rush and promote social distancing. The contact details for PeoplePlus are here.

To help you work out what kind of PPE you need Public Health England have provided this guidance. You should read this before you contact People Plus

You will need to get your PA/carer to go and collect the PPE. Here is a link to John Onslow house on Google maps so that you can plan the journey. If your PA or carer cannot easily get to John Onslow house, or you don’t want them to use public transport, you could consider using the temporary increase in your direct payment to pay for a taxi to collect the PPE for you. See Using your direct payments flexibly.

Other helpful guides

Click here for a guide on how to put on PPE in the right order and safely

Click here for the right order to take PPE off

There are two different kinds of facemasks, used in different situations. Click here to understand the different between the two kinds of facemasks and when each one should be used

Click here for general guidance on how to prevent infection in an easy to read format

Skip to toolbar